Monday, February 25, 2013

Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes

So I recently made salted caramel chocolate cupcakes. It's taken me quite a while to get around to posting them, but here they are!

It's a moist chocolate cupcake filled with salted caramel, topped with a delicious chocolate frosting, drizzled with caramel and sprinkled with sea salt. It just sounds amazing. In the picture though, it looks a little odd. After sprinkling the salt on and leaving it for a night, it seemed to soak into the frosting, leaving it with a strange looking texture. The caramel also was absorbed by the frosting to an extent. I suggest waiting to drizzle the caramel and sprinkle the sea salt until you're ready to serve the cupcakes. That way they'll look good as well as tasting amazing!
Another issue I had with the cupcakes was that after filling it with the salted caramel, it soaked in. I'm not sure how to fix that problem. Anyone know how to fill a cupcake with caramel without the cupcake absorbing it?

Anyway, even with those mishaps, the cupcakes were FANTASTIC. They were rich, moist, flavorful, everything you want in a cupcake. They were also very messy, haha!

First, I whipped up the batter and stuck the cupcakes in the oven. Once they were done, I let them cool and then prepared them for filling using the cone method, shown here. Then, I spooned some store bought caramel sauce mixed with some sea salt into each cupcake, and replaced the top of each cupcake (you could use the caramel sauce in the first link below, if you're patient enough to make it!). Lastly, I frosted them, drizzled them with caramel, and sprinkled them with sea salt. Although, as I mentioned above, it would be better to save the caramel and sea salt topping until right before serving.

I would really recommend these cupcakes! They were soooo good.


If you want to make them:

Cupcake: http://www.shemakesandbakes.com/1/post/2013/01/salted-caramel-chocolate-cupcakes.html

Frosting: http://www.laurenslatest.com/the-best-and-easiest-chocolate-frosting-birthday-cake/

**I only used the best and easiest chocolate frosting because I didn't have enough chocolate for the frosting that was used in the first link. If you do have enough chocolate though, I'm sure that frosting might be even better!**


No comments:

Post a Comment